An excellent wife who can find?
She is far more precious than jewels.
The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
She seeks wool and flax,
and works with willing hands.
She is like the ships of the merchant;
she brings her food from afar.
She rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household
and portions for her maidens.
She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
She dresses herself with strength
and makes her arms strong.
She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.
She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
She opens her hand to the poor
and reaches out her hands to the needy.
She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
She makes bed coverings for herself;
her clothing is fine linen and purple.
Her husband is known in the gates
when he sits among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them;
she delivers sashes to the merchant.
Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates.
She is far more precious than jewels.
The heart of her husband trusts in her,
and he will have no lack of gain.
She does him good, and not harm,
all the days of her life.
She seeks wool and flax,
and works with willing hands.
She is like the ships of the merchant;
she brings her food from afar.
She rises while it is yet night
and provides food for her household
and portions for her maidens.
She considers a field and buys it;
with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard.
She dresses herself with strength
and makes her arms strong.
She perceives that her merchandise is profitable.
Her lamp does not go out at night.
She puts her hands to the distaff,
and her hands hold the spindle.
She opens her hand to the poor
and reaches out her hands to the needy.
She is not afraid of snow for her household,
for all her household are clothed in scarlet.
She makes bed coverings for herself;
her clothing is fine linen and purple.
Her husband is known in the gates
when he sits among the elders of the land.
She makes linen garments and sells them;
she delivers sashes to the merchant.
Strength and dignity are her clothing,
and she laughs at the time to come.
She opens her mouth with wisdom,
and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.
She looks well to the ways of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
Her children rise up and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
“Many women have done excellently,
but you surpass them all.”
Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain,
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Give her of the fruit of her hands,
and let her works praise her in the gates.
Proverbs 31:10-31
I'm so thankful today for the most wonderful Mom! What a precious gift from the Lord she is to me. I really wish I could be home right now to celebrate with her but I'm looking forward to spending some time together next weekend when we're in Summerville for Joanna's wedding.
Seriously, my mom is amazing! If you've met her you know. I pray that someday Karis will feel the same way towards me by the grace of God. My heart is joyful as I think of Mom today and the many special, unique ways that she reflects the Lord. Here are just a few:
- Mom is a great wife. She is still in love with my dad and words cannot describe how much this means to me. It is such an encouragement to me in my marriage and I hope I can love Joshua in the Lord as my mom still loves my dad after all these years!
- Mom is, well, and wonderful momma! By God's grace, she has raised 2 children that now know and love the Lord (I could not ask for anything greater for my children!). Though she worked full time, I never have a memory of mom not being home. When we were home, mom was home and was "fully there" with us. I really don't know how she did it! I didn't appreciate that so much growing up but now that I am a mom I think back and cant imagine how she managed to teach AND take care of a husband, children and all that went with that (which was alot!)! I never knew why she always wanted to take a nap downstairs in the chair after we got home, now I understand!!!! Countless hours of driving me to swim practice (at 5 am!! and again in the afternoons!), swim meets/traveling, loony and times tables, painting in the garage, helping with homework (I feel like I was basically homeschooled!)
- Mom is a giver. I love and admire her heart for others. She is almost always putting others before herself. Many of my childhood memories and even now are of my mom sacrificing of herself to serve her family and others. Mom is always finding a way to give of herself whether that is a meal/thoughtful gift/card and this is such a blessing to us and everyone who knows her.
- Mom is so creative! Seriously, the most creative person I've ever known! I love that she passed this along to me. Alot of my childhood memories revolved around countless projects we did together for school. Whenever I was assigned a new project, I was always so excited to come home and tell Mom about it to see what amazing idea she would come up with. Of course, she did alot of it and she let me help with the easier tasks but through that process I was learning how to create and learning how to express myself in unique ways. By the time I left for college I was finally able to do this process on my own, what a gift! Thanks to mom I always had the coolest projects but so much more than the project, I had this opportunity to spend time with Mom, to be loved by her and grow to love how the Lord made her.
- Mom is an encourager. SO many times I was ready to quit, especially with swimming, and Mom encouraged me to keep going, to do my best. Mom always pushed me hard but I never felt like I had to perform for her love. I knew I was loved and accepted and that gave me alot of security to push forward in the pool, at school etc. "Let it Shine, Let it Shine, Let it Shine!"
- Mom is positive. That goes along with the previous point but a bit different. Even in the midst of difficulty, Mom always finds a way to be positive and spread that to others. "Count your blessings, not your problems!" I've been so encouraged by her trust in the Lord and His sovereignty as she has gone through this journey with breast cancer. Many times I have been tempted to feel discouraged or sad and her positive spirit has helped me to give thanks even in the midst of hard things. "Rejoice always! Pray continually! Give thanks in ALL circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus! 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18


No comments:
Post a Comment