We have been overwhelmed to watch God at work in answered prayers. Just last week we had begun praying that the Lord would bring friendships into our lives. He has already blessed us with so many wonderful relationships at our church and He has already knit our hearts to this body in a life changing way. But we had been discouraged in that almost everyone lives 30+ minutes away which makes it difficult to meet outside of Sunday morning and small group.
Not only has the Lord brought new friendships into our lives, but they are friends that live next door and around the corner. Our friends are from familiar places, but not close to home. Yes, praise the Lord that our new, dear friends are from India!
Chetan and Girija, two neighbors from Pune, India who just welcomed their first baby! He is absolutely precious! Thursday night Joshua and I walked over to see them and the baby. We didnt call ahead, it wasnt scheduled, we just walked over and knocked on the door (totally the Indian way!). We were surprised to be met by another Indian woman we had not met before but she quickly welcomed us in. Chetan, who works for Time Warner Cable, was out buying things for the baby, but we were able to have a really nice time with Girija and her two cousins who are in town to help with the baby. They really appreciated our little gift and I will hopefully get to hang out with the ladies on my days off from work, no commute required!
Avinash and Ananya, our other neighbors from Pune who are expecting their first child any day now! I met Ananya while working out at the apartment gym. Ananya's parents are in town for the birth of the baby and will be staying with them 4 months, it was a joy to meet them as well! Joshua and I have been trying to walk more in the evenings after dinner and it has been neat to realize that this is the same time that most of our Indian neighbors also come out to enjoy the cool of the evening (as they would in India). I love this about Indian culture, it is such a community and literally EVERYONE comes out in the evening to walk and talk, to sit and enjoy company with one another. I hope we can be a part of this sweet community that is all around us here in Charlotte!
Finally, Avinash and Karishma, some of our first friends in Charlotte from Hyderabad and Delhi. Karishma was our waitress at the first Indian restaurant we tried in Charlotte when we were looking for housing. Though it has been a while since we had been able to connect with them, we were so excited when we were able to reconnect with them last weekend. They joined us for a fun time in Freedom Park, walking, playing frisbee, a great dinner and conversation. This week I was able to spend a beautiful afternoon with Karishma and her good friend Sruthi at the same park for a picnic, walking and frisbee. We had such a great time together. We were able to have so much great conversation in 4 hours: weddings, marriage, children, pregnancy, adoption, labor and deliver, miscarriages, Hindi (I was finally able to practice sharing my verses Joshua taught me!), and of all things gender roles. They were talking about how their names had not yet been formally changed to their husbands since marriage due to the hassel of pasports, visas etc. One of the ladies made a comment "why don't the men have to take on our names?" I asked the girls, "do you want to know why?" and they were eager to hear my answer. I got to explain the Lord's design and creation of man as male and female, equal in essence but with differing roles. I was able to share what Joshua and I are now learning practically, the role of the man as the provider, protector, leader, the one who will cherish and love his wife whom God has given him, and how likewise God created women to help, serve, and come alongside their husbands. It was neat to see their eyes light up with understanding as I explained that when we take on our husbands name it means that he is covering us, taking responsibility for us. We take on his name because we are his (in an earthly sense!) and this is a blessed and good thing, not a curse. I smiled as Sruthi replyed "this is good, this is true."
Excited to meet more new friends this weeked as we join Karishma and Avinash in their neighborhood for an Indian talent show! Should be alot of fun :)
There is none like you among the gods, O Lord, nor are there any works like yours. All the nations you have made shall come and worship before you, O Lord, and shall glorify your name. For you are great and do wondrous things; you alone are God. Teach me your way, O Lord, that I may walk in your truth; unite my heart to fear your name. I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever. For great is your steadfast love toward me; you have delivered my soul from the depths of Sheol. Psalm 86:8-13
No comments:
Post a Comment